Sunday, November 18, 2018

Flowers and Favors

Today I learned about Bindweed.  This climbing plant with a lovely bell shaped flower is related to the Morning Glory which is one of my favorite flowers.  Bindweed, as the name suggests, will wrap itself around a plant to climb it and is invasive.  Morning Glories supposedly are not as invasive, but they are both part of the same species.  This came about when I listed Morning Glories as one of my favorite flowers but I couldn't find conclusive evidence in a quick search of them being medieval European.  It seems they are from Asia.  Which would be fine if I had an Asian persona in the SCA, but I don't.  (A quick search brought me to this site which does an okay job of describing an SCA persona at step number three.  My disclaimer is that I didn't read the entire article and I saw at least one spelling mistake.  Not that I am the best speller... a few days ago it should have been bouillon, not bullion. 😮 )  For the purposes it would be used for, my preference would be something that someone with my persona-12 century Norman-would at least be familiar with. 

The other flower that I listed as a favorite is the Bachelor Button.  The reason for these is that I am looking for a design to use as a favor to hand out once I am Baroness.  Here is a close-up of the one I have from our current Baroness:



We have been collecting ideas from people and will choose one on Thanksgiving.  Maybe.  If the decision is too great, we will narrow the field and poll the Facebook group with the top three.  The flower is a suggestion, one among many, that folks could use to come up with an idea.  I look forward to seeing them all.  There have been eight submissions so far.

Gideon seems to be completely over whatever had gotten him sick and so far the rest of us are fine.  I took another step in getting things out of the car and brought in the knitting machine.  I looked at it, watched a YouTube video and purchased some yarn that was on sale.  I didn't get brave enough to try and set it up, that will be for another day.  Today's happy is the completion of the seven days of stretches.  After Thanksgiving I may look into another.


Just some snow in the parking lot by the fabric store.

💮

No comments:

Post a Comment