Sunday, January 7, 2018

There's no place like home

When we drove to the event site on Friday night Gideon, my grandson, slept part of the way.  On the way home today he didn't.  He is very well behaved most of the time and today was not an exception.  He tired of playing on his iPad and asked much more than usual how much longer until we are home.  It wasn't until we were within an hour of home that the alphabet game got played.  All of us are tired from the busy weekend and long drive.

Yesterday's Twelfth Night event had food, dancing, classes, entertainment, court and I am sure more things (SCA).  I had a lovely day talking with friends and attending the court where the King and Queen attend to business and those who have earned awards get them.  My daughter was one of 4 inducted into the Order of the Silver Brooch.  This is awarded for things done within the arts or sciences.  Some of what she does is sew, embroider and recently she took up calligraphy and illumination.  It isn't just about the skill involved with these projects, it is also about doing them in a way similar to how it was done or to look how it was done in the middle ages.  So she does bunches of research, too.

Pictures from yesterday:

My daughter and some friends making clothing adjustments.

My daughter and her husband being adorable.

Random picture at court.

The King holding an award for all to see. 

My daughter being presented her scroll from the King.

Congratulations!!

My daughter made me a new dress.
We call it my Sleeping Beauty Dress.
These 2 short videos are me being silly.


Today wasn't just the ride home.  We went out to breakfast at the 'best truck stop in Maine' (Dysarts) with friends.  We also spent way too much money at Mardens, a surplus department store with fabric, clothes, hardware etc.  Along with some fabric I also purchased some cheap snow and ice cleats to keep me from falling when I get back outside to walking this winter.  Maybe that will be tomorrow morning when I go to get my car from the parking garage.  😎  My happy for today is being home again.  Even with a suitcase still to unpack and work tomorrow, I look forward to sleeping in my own bed tonight and getting into a routine.

Pictures from today:
 Our hotel was near this statue of Paul Bunyan.

Scenery along the highway home. 

Blurry sunset photos. 




No comments:

Post a Comment