Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Fire Tower Take Two--lots of pics

After work today I got to watch Gideon while my daughter went to visit a friend recovering from a surgery.  I suggested we go for a walk to the fire tower.  He wasn't crazy about going at first, he had been playing video games, but his mom convinced him to go.  He was a little confused about us getting into the car to do this walk. It turns out that he was thinking fire station and not fire tower.  I explained to him what a fire tower was and a little about the trail as we drove there. 

The dirt way up the hill was strewn with leaves.  As we walked along Gideon told me of his plans to write a book for a friend of his at school.  It will be based in the Harry Potter world and will have two sisters that are in Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff.  I'm looking forward to reading it.  This story-thinking in combination with the occasional distraction of nature, other hikers and puddles kept him pretty well entertained all the way up.  Eventually we came to the cellular tower and then the fire tower and I believe, radio tower.  I convinced him to climb the stairs with me.  Once we got to the top I decided that I was a little nervous about him being up there pacing while I took pictures, so I had him sit.  It was windy and colder that little bit above most of the treeline. 

Pictures taken, we headed back down.  Gideon didn't like going down the stairs of the tower too much.  I wanted him to back down like a ladder, but he went forward.  That ended up being fine with his child sized shoes.  As is usually the way, the walk down the hill took less time than going up.  This was a good thing since there wasn't a restroom for Gideon to use.  It was getting colder on the trail as the sun lowered in the sky.  We got back to the car just before the official sunset time but with plenty of light still in the sky. 

After a little Google search and help from a coworker, I learned that there is a patch program that one can earn a patch for climbing up enough of the fire towers.  Maybe someday I will give that a try.  That little adventure that we went on to the fire tower is my happy for today. 

Wacky Wednesday at my school and Gideon had to wear orange at his.

Starting up the path. 







Looking down.



Sitting at the top. 

Yay!  We are DOWN. 


Upside down exclamation point puddles. 

Back to the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment