Sunday, October 7, 2018

Fire Tower-picture heavy

Walking along the Oak Hill Trail, the oak trees were few and far between.  The first part of the trail was mostly beech trees and maple trees that were tapped with the blue hose connecting them.  The first oak tree I noticed wasn't until I was actually up on the fire tower.  I'll need to head up there again on a clear day.  The tower was a little more than a mile up the trail, I expected it to be in more.  The trail itself is supposed to be about 5.8 miles round trip.  I started on the far side and went to the tower and then returned to my car, so a much shorter trip than I could have done as the trail continued for a while.  I had a later start than I had originally planned and a light rain started right after I left the tower so I didn't continue.

When I got to the tower there was an older man standing by a 4-wheeler and I asked him about climbing up.  He warned me about some hornets at the top and up I went.  The stairs were narrow and old, weather-worn but still in good/safe condition.  The fire observation part of the tower was locked up but the level right below that had a landing to walk on, maybe 8 or 10 feet square.  I took a bunch of pictures and enjoyed the scenery.  This is one of the times where I wish I could draw.  Maybe I should try again sometime.  😉  For some reason when I got back down I striked a conversation with the man again.  He has lived in the house I parked by at the trailhead most of his life.  The house, btw, has a turret and I commented how much I loved that turret.  He talked about different people that he knew who had manned the fire tower and we talked houses.  He offered me a ride down the hill on his 4-wheeler and I declined.  He also offered to come and get me if it started pouring rain.  When I got to the bottom he was standing outside his barn, I think to be sure I got down okay.  He seemed nice, I didn't get any creep vibes from him.  I say this because I feel that someone reading this might be concerned at my talking to strangers, who offer me rides, in the middle of the woods.  😉  He seemed an older gentleman being kind. 

This walk and conversation are my happy things for today.  Anyone reading this who I am friends with on Facebook may wonder about the other event in my life and why I didn't mention that as my happy.  Well, I got the call from Her Majesty on Friday letting me know that my daughter and I will be the next set of Baronages for Stonemarche.  Friday and Saturday I couldn't say anything, Their Majesties needed to announce it first.  Today is when it was announced locally.  Today, amid all the congratulations, is when much of the reality- that I have been aware of but pushing aside until we knew the results- has kicked in.  There is a huge task and responsibility ahead of us.  Now is time for lists to be sure that nothing is forgotten and everyone who wants to help, can.  Now is when the planning starts.  So I guess that I should say that the last three days there has been a happy going on that I couldn't talk about.  At times it is overwhelming.  K has been away all weekend and we have so many things to discuss.  The lists are started though and we will be checking them, more than twice.  😃

Chipmunk.

Hoses for maple sap. 

Foliage.


Cell tower.  
Standing here I had 4 out of 5 bars for service. 

Going up. 


 Pretty sure this is Mount Kearsarge in the distance that I zoomed in on.



I managed to get a shot of one of the hornets when I took this picture.  

The upturned root system behind this rock,
 looks like someone is there.
At one point I thought it looked Darth Vader-esque.  
Now I see a woman shrouded in black.

From this view it looks like some animals playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment