Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Homework

Gideon has a tremendous imagination.  He also watches gaming tutorials enough that he knows a bunch more about Minecraft than I do.  His play isn't very organized though.  Today I spent part of my day recovering from yesterday's hike and general overdoing it and chores and the rest trying to learn more about Dungeons and Dragons.  I did some reading, I made some character sheets, I watched videos on Youtube (like this one).  During dinner we began our campaign with me being the Dungeon Master (DM).  The DM is the narrator of the story and should be able to keep the game moving.  Gideon, K and Z all had very different characters to play in the game.  This is where Gideon's imagination tried to assert itself and push some boundaries.  Someday, he will make a very good DM.  We would enter the scene and I would describe something about it and he would add what he saw there.  Well, no, he couldn't have seen that because that would be job of the DM to let him know what is seen, he needed to decide what to do with that information.  He took to the game very well and was not happy when we decided to end for the night and went off to bed trying to figure out what might happen next and why can't he go back to town and give the guy that gave them the job a piece of his mind.

There is a huge amount for me to learn still.  In the beginning one of the characters is a dwarf and wanted to learn more about the castle and use their skill with stone to find out.  I totally didn't anticipate something like that so made it up.  This is definitely going to help me learn to think on my feet a bit more.  I am trying to make this up as I go as much as I can because I know how quickly it can change by what the characters choose in any given circumstance.  Flexibility is important.  By Monday I have to have a bunch of this down in my mind or at my fingertips so that game play can move along.  We will only have about 45 minutes each Monday for the after school group.  Hopefully it will all come together well and the kids will have fun. 

Today my happy is the learning and playing of Dungeons and Dragons.  Tomorrow I need to get a bunch of what I learned typed up to share with the teacher so we will be able to work on this together.  I am also very thankful for my daughter, K, going out today and picking up some information on the game for me and all the family for playing along as I stumble through becoming a DM. 

🏰🐉


No comments:

Post a Comment