Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Word Association - July 3rd

When I was a child we would sometimes go to a beach in Salisbury, MA.  There was a small amusement park, arcades, seaside restaurants and the Atlantic Ocean.  The smell of salt marshes mixed with fried seafood, sound of waves and children playing, the feel of sand between my toes, and dates out at the arcade playing Skee Ball are all the thoughts and memories I have tied with that one word-Salisbury.  Yesterday, while out and about I drove through a town called Salisbury in NH.  It is a quiet looking town, filled with rolling hills and farms.  Beautiful in its own way, but still I could smell in my memory the marshes and hear the echo of waves in my mind of the other, more familiar to me Salisbury, miles away.

Wow, I feel that I did really well with that paragraph.  I wrote it last night, when I couldn't sleep, trying to cool myself down with an ice pack.  This morning this has reminded me of another word association that I hesitate to write about but feel the need to.  There are social constructs in the SCA called Households.  They are basically groups of people that join together as family or friends or fighters.  Some common thread usually brings them together.  Households sometimes get a reputation such as fighters that have all been trained classically or that household is full of cooks that will make a feast to die for.  Within any given household are individuals.  I can't speak for all SCA households, but in the household I belong to, we value a person's service.  We are people that volunteer and get things done.  We all have different places that we excel at.  We have different ideas and ways to achieve our goals.  Our household does not define who we are.  Just as each household has particular strengths and differ from one another, I too am different from the members of my household with different and new ideas to bring to the table.

Thank you for reading my rant.  I will post more and get my happy for the day in later.  Tonight is a late night for me, just wanted to get these thoughts down and out there.

Edit to include happy for the day.  The heat got to all of the performers tonight.   None of us were on point.  It was still fun though.  One of them played his character very different and that challenged me a bit.  Every week it is a little different.  Some of us went for ice cream after and I stayed even later to listen to another friend sing.  These are my happy things for today.




Charles River so...




No comments:

Post a Comment